Weekend Events 9/2
You are in luck if you are looking for some fun this weekend. Whether you are looking for a date night or you would love to catch the vintage bus, there is plenty going on in Roanoke VA this weekend.
- Baliveau Estate Winery will be having Date Night Friday this coming Friday. The winery is located out in Blacksburg and is the perfect place to spend some alone time with your loved one. The event will take place starting at 6.30 pm. Gourmet pizza is available alongside live music and wine.
- Chaos Mountain Brewing Company are having an Oktoberfest party and beer release this Saturday from 1 pm to 9 pm. Admission is free. Food will be available including beer brats and kraut. Live music and plenty of fun will take place.
- Take a bus tour, blow the whistle and ring the bell at, 611 Steamin' at the Virginia Museum of Transportation . This special event will take place over the long weekend. Cost is $30, you can check out more details here.
- Like a good mystery? You should join Step into Mystery at Virginia Mt Vineyards in Fincastle. Solve a mystery in the vineyard, enjoy some good wine and appetizers and have a whole lot of fun. The cost is $55 a person.
Our apartment community in Roanoke VA is the place to live in Roanoke. Close to downtown, schools, and parks, our apartments offer everything you need in a great location. If you are looking for a great place to live in Roanoke, contact us today.
Scenic Day Hikes Near Roanoke
If you are looking for a way to escape into nature without having to go on a vacation, these 3 beautiful day hikes close to the heart of
Roanoke VA may just do the trick.
- Carvins Cove Nature Reserve is a municipal park with over 12,000 acres including a major water source. You can choose from over 40 miles of multi-use trails, creating your own day hike or following one of the specified hikes found on the maps. You can find this magnificent nature reserve near interstate 81. It also borders around 14 miles of the Appalachian Trail.
- Read Mountain is a great place for a quick hike on any given day. This 5-mile trail switches from moderate to difficult and includes a 2-mile trail summit to the top of Read Mountain. Head up to Buzzards Rock for the best views. You can see back over the whole Roanoke Region. Have lunch at the picnic tables on your way back. Directions can be found on the website.
- Apple Orchard Falls at The James River Watershed is a moderate to difficult 7.5-mile hike. Although this hike has strenuous parts once you get to the end and view the waterfall, it will all be worth it. This waterfall is one of Virginia's tallest. Along the hike, there is plenty of shade and streams to play in, just be sure to stay on the trail.
Roanoke VA is a great place to live and we think our apartment community is the perfect place to settled down and enjoy all that Roanoke VA has to offer. Contact us today to find out more about our floor plans and amenities.
Weekend Events July 22
If you are going to be hanging around Roanoke VA this weekend and you are looking for something to do, you are in luck. There is plenty going on around town.
Here are four ideas to get your weekend fun started!
- Movies in the Market is this Friday night and it is going to be a good one. Children's activities start at 6 and the feature film, Star Wars The Force Awakens will start playing at dusk. This free event is the perfect way to spend a balmy Friday evening.
- Rolling of the Bulls is happening this Saturday, July 23. Run from the Star City Roller Derby Girls in this exciting fun-run that supports child abuse prevention. Register online or on the day for $30.
- Sunday Summers at Blue Ridge Vineyard is happening this Sunday from 1 pm to 4 pm at the Vineyard on Shiloh Drive in Eagle Rock. Admission is free and you are invited to bring your own picnic and sip on some of their delicious wines. No outside alcohol allowed. Don't forget something to sit on too.
- The Natural Bridge Live Music Series will continue this Saturday at Natural Bridge Park and Historic Hotel. Admission is $5 for music or $25 for music and bridge admission. The fun starts at 7 pm.
Our team of friendly leasing staff is here to help you find your perfect Roanoke VA apartment. Contact us today to find out more about our spacious apartments just minutes away from downtown.
Keeping Cool on a Budget | 3 Wallet Friendly Tips
If you are looking to keep cool in your apartment while saving some money this summer, there are a few things you can do to help. The great thing is these three wallet-friendly tips won't cost you a whole lot of money before you start saving money!
3 Ways to Keep Cool on a Budget
- Turn the Thermostat Up - If you are pumping your AC all day long you may be hurting yourself more than helping. An optimal temperature for savings is around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. This should help you stay comfortable and save you money on your energy costs. If you work all day and no one is home, turn it up a little more than program it to drop before you get home.
- Block the Sun - If you have windows that let the sun in at any time during the day, you may want to buy some blackout blinds or curtains. Letting the sun beat into your apartment can quickly heat your space up. Close the blinds at the hottest part of the day then open them back up when the sun isn't beating in.
- Go Old School - You can help reduce heat building up in your home by going old school. Wash your dishes by hand and cook your meals outside on a grill. Every little bit of extra heat from appliances and the oven will make the temperature in your place rise. By reducing that heat build up, you can keep your home comfortable.
If you are looking for an apartment that you can stay cool in this summer, our leasing team can help. We offer a range of floor plans and community amenities that can help you stretch out and stay cool this summer. Contact us today to reserve your apartment!
Roanoke Weekend Events 6/10/16
Roanoke VA is a great place to live, especially in the warmer months. This weekend there is so much going on around town, it
may be hard to choose what to do. Here are four events you might just want to check out.
- Mingle at the Market in Vinton this Saturday. The event takes place from 7 pm to 10 pm and tickets are $5. This is a 21 and older event.
- The Off the Rails Triathlon will take place this Saturday starting at 8 am. You don't have to join in to have fun there is plenty to see as participants swim, ride and run along the Tinker Creek Greenway.
- If you are a cheese lover you have to head to Blacksburg to check out the Virginia Cheese Festival this Saturday. Held at the Hilton Garden Inn from 11 am to 4 pm there will be plenty of cheese tasting, wine and beer pairings and even cheese-focused workshops.
- 50th Anniversary of Smith Mountain Lake Party is this Sunday at Virginia Dare Cruises & Marina in Moneta. Tour the boat, grab a bite to eat at the Portside Grill & Bar and visit some of the great vendors that will be on-site.
If you are looking for a new apartment community in Roanoke VA, contact us today. Our friendly leasing team can help you find the right space to fit your needs.
Spring Cleaning - Organizing Your Kitchen Cabinets
If you avoid cooking or being in your kitchen because you can't stand the clutter, organizing your kitchen cabinets can help. Before summer arrives,
use these handy tips to help you get your cabinets organized and relieve some of that stress.
Kitchen Cabinet Organization Tips
- Add Shelves - Even in an apartment, you can increase your kitchen cabinets usable space by adding shelves. You can buy shelves at your local home improvement store. This is also a good excuse to take everything out and wipe your cabinets down.
- Magazine Holders - Magazine holders make great water bottle holders. If you have water bottles rolling around everywhere, start stacking them into magazine holders. Everyone will know exactly where their water bottle is next time they need to be hydrated.
- Magnetic Strips - You can clear out some space in your drawers by using magnetic strips to hang things like knives, scissors, and other magnetic kitchen utensils.
- Tension Rods - Tension rods are an easy, cheap way to create spaces for your pots and pan lids, plates, and other thin items. No need to buy expensive organizers to do this.
These tips can help you have kitchen cabinets that make you want to spend more time in the kitchen. Even if you don't want to spend more time in the kitchen your cupboards will be organized and ready to go.
Looking for a great apartment in Roanoke, VA? Contact the team at Hickory Woods Aaprtments today. We offer plenty of cabinet space, spacious floor plans, and great amenities. Call or stop in today to find out more about our great apartment community.
Weekend Events 5/13
Looking for something to do this Saturday or Sunday? Here are four great events happening in Roanoke this weekend.
- Flat Pickin Friday Series will take place this Friday at Daleville Town center in Daleville, VA. Admission is $5 and the event starts at 5 pm, this event is great for the whole family and kids 12 and under are Free! There will be food trucks, great music and fun for everyone.
- Red Truck Rock-A-Palooza Music Festival will take place at the Red Truck Event Center this Saturday, May 14 from 1 pm to 1 pm. Tickets will be $15 at the gate with kids 7 and under free. The Red Truck Event Center is in Rocky Mt, VA.
- Sunken City Brewing is celebrating their third birthday this Saturday at their tap room in Hardy, VA. The celebrations will start at noon and Good Ole Boys barbecue will be there with some great food.
- If you have always wanted to try Stand Up Paddleboarding, you can do just that this Saturday at Explore Park in Roanoke. For $45 you will get a practice session before you head out to the river. All equipment and safety gear is included.
No matter what you are looking to do, whether it involves relaxing or getting some exercise in, there is plenty going on this weekend in Roanoke VA.
Summer is a great time to move if you are looking for a new apartment this Summer in Roanoke VA , visit us at Hickory Woods Apartments. We offer great floor plans and amenities that will make this summer stand out.
Best Indoor Plants for Your Apartment
If you would love to green up
your apartment a little, or you are looking to purify the air inside, indoor
plants can be a great addition. The best news is a lot of indoor plants thrive
without too much fuss. Here are a few plants you may want to consider for your
Plants - Pothos is great if you are
looking for something that will look full and lush. It is also one of the
best indoor plants for purifying the air inside your home. They look great
in a hanging basket or with room to climb and need watering once or twice
Plants - Aloe is a great choice if
you are looking for a plant that looks different and is useful. If you
have a sunny space in your apartment, Aloe can be a great choice.
Plants - The Peace Lilly is a great
choice if you are looking for something that flowers. This plant loves low
humidity levels and low light.
Out Plants - The snake plant stands out
in a room with its straight yellow and green leaves, it can bloom but it
is a rare occasion. It prefers dry soil and a range of lighting
conditions, making it a really easy plant to care for.
Plants - The Areca Palm is a great
choice if you love dreaming about the topics. It can grow quite high
however you contain growth by keeping it in a small pot. It likes indirect
light and only needs to be watered once a week.
Hickory Woods Apartments in
Roanoke VA offer a range of bright and spacious floor plans. If you are looking
for your next apartment, contact our friendly team at Hickory Woods
Roanoke VA Events 4/8
so much happening in the Roanoke VA area this weekend, it may be hard to decide
where to go and what to do. Here are a few events that you may want to check
- The Blossom to Bottle
5K will take place at Peaks of Otter Winery on Saturday, April 9. You
can walk, run or crawl your way through the blossoms and into the valley.
This is an off-road course with spectacular scenery. The race benefits
Bedford YMCA programs. The cost is $20 on race day and the race starts at
- Hill Week starts on
April 9 and runs through till the 16th. This is a great chance for
cyclists to take a week off and head out on the road. The cost is $75 for
the week and the group rides leave each day at 9am. Climb the hills, hit
the flats and explore the back roads of our area.
is a Free event thanks to the Young Architects Forum. Children will have
the opportunity to help construct a miniature LEGO city out of over 40,000
LEGO blocks. Toddlers can join in too using cardboard bricks. This is a
great event for all those little LEGO fans out there. The event will take
place on April 9 from 10am - 2 pm.
- If you are a
Yoga fan or you have just been meaning to check out a class, Yoga and Wine at Virginia
Mountain Vineyards is the way to do it. Located on Old Fincastle Road
in Fincastle, you can take a Yoga class then sip on some wine at 2:30 pm.
The cost is $35 and includes a yoga class, box lunch, and wine tasting.
Call the winery to make a reservation.
Apartments offer a range of floorplans and amenities in the Roanoke VA
area. Our community is conveniently located in Roanoke and provides a great mix
of comfortable living spaces, green space and amenities including a pool and
fitness center. Visit us today at Hickory Wood Apartment in Roanoke VA to
secure your apartment.
Used Vs. New | Furnishings You Should and Shouldn't Buy Second-Hand
If you are looking to fill up
your apartment with comfortable furniture, yet you have a budget in mind you
may be thinking about purchasing second-hand furniture. While you can grab some
great bargains when it comes to second-hand furniture, there are also some
things you should steer clear of.
When Used Furniture is
There are some things that make
great pieces when bought second hand. These are usually pieces that are solid
wood or they have been handcrafted or designed. These pieces of furniture can
last the test of time if they have been well cared for.
If you are looking for
upholstered furniture you have to be careful of stains, smells and bugs. Bed
bugs don't just love beds, they can also hide in upholstered furniture and once
you bring them in they can be hard to get rid of.
When it comes to second-hand or
used furniture pieces look for bookshelves, coffee tables, dining tables and
chairs, and other pieces that don't include upholstery.
When Used Furniture is
There are some things you
should always steer clear of buying used, these include;
- Baby Cribs
The last one is important.
There is no use in spending money on furniture that will fall apart or that you
could buy new for just a few more dollars.
No matter how you choose to
furnish your apartment be sure that you love every piece you buy, whether it be
used or new.
5 Great Spring Cleaning Tips
Spring is right around the corner and is the perfect time of a year for a little deep cleaning. Spring cleaning is a great way to get your space ready for fresh air and sunshine. These five tips will help you get your home looking and feeling fresh and ready for the warmer weather.
5 Great Spring Cleaning Tips
If you are looking for a great Roanoke apartment where you can enjoy the warmer months, contact the team at Hickory Woods Apartments today. Let us help you find the perfect apartment for you and your family.
- Wash Down Your Walls - Walls get scuffed up and dirty, especially during the months when everyone is inside. Grab a bowl of warm water and a soft rag and wipe down your walls. This will protect the paint but still allow you to get the grime off.
- Grab a Ladder - Areas that aren't seen easily tend to be forgotten. Grab a step ladder and get up on top of your kitchen cabinets. You will likely find a layer of grime and dust up there. Dust off the tops then using warm soapy water, clean off any grime.
- Don't Forget Ceiling Fans - While you have your ladder out, get the top of the ceiling fans. Use a pillow case for a quick and easy clean. Open it up and spread it across the fan blade, then wipe the dust straight into the cover.
- Clean the Carpets - You can rent a carpet cleaner from your local home improvement store for pretty cheap. Vacuum, then steam clean your carpets so they are clean and fresh.
- Get Organized - Spring cleaning is a great time to get organized. If you don't have enough storage space for all your belongings, create some. Use under the bed containers or add some shelves to the closet. Give everything a place and throw away or donate anything you no longer use.
4 Great Weekend Events in Roanoke VA
With so much going on this weekend in Roanoke VA, it might be hard to choose how to spend your weekend, here are four events you might want to consider filling your weekend calendar with.
4 Great Weekend Events in Roanoke VA
Hickory Woods Apartments, located in Roanoke VA, close to all that Roanoke has to offer, provides residents with a great mix of floor plans and a wide variety of amenities. If you are looking for a great apartment to call home in the Roanoke area, contact the team at Hickory Woods today.
- At Home with Jefferson is the perfect way to carve a little time out of your weekend for some relaxation. The Thomas Jefferson Retreat is open from 10 am to 4 pm every Saturday and Sunday and guests are invited to come and relax while they explore the house or find a quiet place on the grounds to sit and relax. You can enjoy complimentary tea and coffee while you explore. The cost to explore the retreat is $10 for adults.
- MystiCon will be held at this weekend at the Holiday Inn Tanglewood. Author George R.R. Martin, who inspired the HBO Series "Game of Thrones" with one of his book series will be the main drawer for this fun event. Fantasy book illustrator J.P. Targete will entertain alongside a group of recording artists, authors, and media personalities. Registration begins at 1 pm on Friday 26 February, adults are $40, Youth tickets will be $20 and children under 8 are free.
- The Harvester Performance Center in Rocky Mount will perform the best of Pure Prairie League and Firefall on Saturday, February 27. Firefall is a rock band that was formed in Colorado in 1974 with a number 9 billboard hit fin 1976. You can enjoy the best of the bands songs at 8 pm on Saturday night, tickets range from $42.50 - $44.50.
- Vandaveer will be playing at the Harvester Performance Center in Rocky Mount on Friday night at 8 pm. If you don't know much about Vandaveer they offer melodic Americana music that has a haunting yet welcoming sound. Tickets range from $14 - $17.
Working From Your Apartment | How to Be Efficient
Working from your apartment can be a great advantage, however working from home and working efficiently can often be tricky. Follow these three tips to help you stay efficient when you are working from home.
If you are looking for an apartment in Roanoke where you can work from home, contact the team at Hickory Woods Apartments. We floor plans with plenty of space for you to set up a dedicated workspace. Contact us today to find out more about our great apartment community.
- Set Office Hours - Setting office hours when working from home will help you stay productive. Let family and friends know what your office hours are to prevent surprise visits. When your day ends, shut it all down and enjoy the rest of your day.
- Don't Work in Your Pajamas - Getting up and getting dressed can make a huge difference in how hard you work when you are working from home. If you stay in your pajamas all day you may feel more compelled to take it easy, relax, or even take a nap. Prepare like you would for a day at the office.
- Create a To Do List - When you work from home it is important to have a good grasp on what needs to get done each day. Be sure to create a list first thing or even the day before. This way you can get up, get dressed and get to work. This can also allow you to finish up work earlier as you can get straight to your list without distractions.
Roanoke Events This Weekend 1/29
Here is a list of great events happening in Roanoke VA this weekend.
If you are looking for a convenient location for your new apartment in Roanoke VA, contact the leasing team at Hickory Woods Apartments. We offer a range of different floor plans at affordable prices alongside great amenities. Contact us today to find out more.
- Winterfest Beach Bash held by the Salem Parks and Recreation will take place this Friday evening at 6 pm. The event will be held at the Salem Civic Center and there will be live music and special summer fun events. The cost is $10 at the door, no cards will be accepted, cash or check only. The proceeds from the night will go to the Penguin's Club for their community service projects.
- If you love bands like The Drifters, The Temptations, and Earth Wind & Fire you will want to catch The Legacy Motown Revue this Saturday at the Harvester Performance Center. This tribute band pays homage to all the bands mentioned above and more. You can purchase tickets before the day of the show for $17 or $22 on the day.
- If you love some rough and tough sport, you have to check out the Rail City Rollers take on the Poison Apples this Saturday at Salem Civic Center. The event starts at 6 pm and you can buy tickets in advance for $8 or $10 at the door.
- An International Wine Festival will be held between 1 pm and 4 pm at the Taubman Museum of Art on January 31. For $45 you can sample over 30 international wines, sample great food and wine pairings and listen to live music
How to Save Money on Produce to Live a Healthier Lifestyle
Being healthy is important. It allows you to live a better life and reduces the chances of needing extensive medical care as you get older. Part of being healthy is eating a wide range of produce. Buying healthy food can often feel expensive however, there are ways you can save money on produce.
Saving Money on Healthy Produce
Hopefully by using these tips you can start to save a little money on your produce bill, remember eating a wide range of produce can help you sustain a healthier lifestyle.
- Purchase What is On Sale - This is key to saving money on produce. If you plan your meals around what is on sale in the produce aisles you can save quite a bit. Look at store sale brochures to see who has the best sales on produce than plan your grocery shopping accordingly.
- Buy Seasonally - You will often find that fruit and vegetables that are in season are cheaper, this is because it is easier for stores to keep them in stock. You can find lists of seasonal produce online to help make this task easier. An added bonus of buying things in season is that they will be fresher and taste better.
- Find a Local Farmer - While this may not be an easy task in winter, as spring and summer arrive local farmers will start to sell their produce on their farms or at local farmer markets. Often you can save money when you buy directly from the farmer and you can also find out exactly how the produce is grown.
- Grow Your Own - Even if you just have a small patio attached to your apartment you can still grow some of your own produce. Items like lettuce, tomatoes, herbs and even carrots can be grown in large pots on a small sunny patio.
If you are looking for a new apartment in Roanoke, contact the team at Hickory Woods Apartments. We offer spacious floorplans and a great location.
New Years Events in Roanoke
From a group bike ride to the areas biggest New Years Eve celebration, you are sure to find something fun to do this New Years in Roanoke VA.
Hickory Woods Apartments are conveniently located within walking distance to downtown Roanoke VA. We offer a full range of community amenities, great floor plans and updated living spaces. If you are looking for a great apartment community in Roanoke, contact us for more information.
- If you are looking for a good crowd and lots of fun this New Years Eve Roanoke has the biggest NYE celebration in Southwest Virginia. Superhold, Low Chariot, and Rutledge will join a live DJ at the Anthem building for a huge New Years celebration. There will be food trucks, outdoor heating and the Roanoke midnight star rise. Big Lick Downtown Countdown is a family event, guests of all age are welcome.
- If you are into cycling and would enjoy a group ride, meet with the team from RIMBA for a short ride on New Years Eve. The group rides under an hour and will often meet for a bit after the ride. Riders of all levels are welcome however climbs may be involved. The team leaves from UnderDog Bikes at 12:30 pm. The group meets every Thursday at this time.
- The Salem Civic Center will hold Growing Up in the Valley's Family New Years Eve Gala. There will be fun games for all ages, entertainment for the kids, a silent auction and a fun apple cider toast at 10 pm. This year's theme is 1920's Hollywood glamour. All proceeds will go to the Children's Trust and tickets can be purchased at the Salem Civic Center box office or online at Ticketmaster.
- If you are looking to get a little fitness in with your celebrating this New Years Eve join Body by Parkway. Runners and beer enthusiasts will get together at 6 pm for a 3.2 mile out and back on the Battleground Trail then will gather together afterwards for a beer at Parkway Brewing Co.
Throw the Best Holiday Party in your Apartment
Living in an apartment doesn't mean that you can't invite your friends and family over for a great Holiday party. The following tips can help you throw the best Holiday party ever!
Now that you have some great ideas to use at your Holiday party don't forget to relax and enjoy this time with your family and friends. A relaxed host is what makes a party go from just OK to outstanding.
- If you have a bookshelf remove books and other decor and turn your bookshelf into a bar. You can add champagne glasses, decanters, liquor and an ice bucket.
- Place food stations throughout your space so that everyone doesn't feel like they have to cram into the kitchen to get food. Use your TV stand, side tables, and other small spaces to place small plates of food like cheese, crackers, olives etc.
- Make your space feel like a cozy cafe in Europe by stringing fairy lights across your ceiling and adding candles throughout your apartment.
- Keep the food you serve simple. Think appetizers and snacks rather than a four course meal. You may want to go with a theme like cheese and wine, or just provide a variety of different flavors to suit most peoples tastes.
- Make room in your coat closet for guests to leave their coats and handbags, this will keep space free on tables and couches and allow guests to easily find their things at the end of the night.
- Invite your neighbors to your party or at least let them know you are expecting guests. This can avoid a call to the police or apartment management so that you won't have to shut down your party when you are having fun.
Hickory Woods Apartments in Roanoke is a great place to live. Our community includes apartments with spacious floor plans and a range of excellent amenities. Our leasing staff are friendly and happy to answer any questions you may have, contact them today at 888-213-9154.
Roanoke VA Events | Turkey Day Edition
There is plenty to see and do this upcoming Thanksgiving holiday weekend. From letting someone else to do Thanksgiving cooking to getting some of your Holidays gift bought, here are some of the events you might want to catch in and around Roanoke, VA.
If you are looking for an apartment in the heart of Roanoke VA, Hickory Woods Apartments is a great community. We offer a range of floor plans close to everything that Roanoke VA has to offer. Contact our leasing team today to find out more about our unique community.
- If you are looking for a fun way to kick off Thanksgiving Day, the Annual Drumstick Dash is a great place to start. This 5K features music along the race route and lots of family fun. The race will wind through downtown Roanoke starting at Williamson and Franklin Roads. All proceeds go to the Rescue Mission to provide meals for the hungry during the holidays.
- If you would like to have someone else cook your meal this year, Thanksgiving at The Natural Bridge Hotel is the perfect way to eat and relax. From 11:30 am to 4:00 pm the Natural Bridge Hotel will be serving up all of your traditional favorites. You will need to RSVP and the cost will be $26.95 for adults and $12.95 for ages 6-12 Children 5 and under are Free.
- November 27 the Town of Buchanan will be holding their annual Buchanan Tree Lighting Ceremony on Main Street. Activities will include Holiday music including a medley of carols with crowd participation. After the tree lighting guests are invited to visit stores along main street and enjoy complimentary refreshments.
- Peaks of Otter Winery will be holding their Christmas Time's A-Comin 2015 Open House on November 27. You can enjoy warm apple cider and cinnamon wine and do some great Christmas shopping for all the wine lovers in your life. You can have up to 3 free tastings or pay $4 for 20 tastings and a keepsake glass.
Ways to Give Thanks this Holiday Season
Thanksgiving is a great time to cultivate a spirit of being thankful for all the great people and things you have in your life. If you are looking for ways to give thanks this holiday season, these ideas might just help.
Hickory Woods Apartments in Roanoke offers spacious floor plans that you and your family can stretch out in this Holiday season. If you are still searching for the perfect apartment contact our leasing staff today at 888-213-9154.
- One way you can give thanks to the people you love having in your life is to invite everyone to a simple meal. Provide the food and drink and keep the atmosphere relaxed, let everyone know why you invited them to dinner.
- Create a place in your apartment where family and friends can give thanks. This could be a tablecloth that people can write on, a thanksgiving tree or a jar. A jar of thanks can be kept and read again in the future.
- Write letters to the people in your life you are thankful for. They don't have to be novels, they can just be a small expression of why you are so glad they are in your life.
- Serve a holiday dinner at a homeless shelter or charity. Taking this time to give to others who don't have much in their lives will leave you appreciating the holidays more.
- A 21-day thankful challenge is also a great way to give thanks. If you have Facebook or Twitter you can post each day on what you are thankful for in your life.
Roanoke Events | Halloween Edition
There is a lot of spooky fun to be had this weekend around Roanoke VA. Whether you are looking to have fun with the kids or you are looking for a fun way to spend date night, catch one of these fun Halloween events this weekend.
Hickory Woods Apartments in Roanoke VA is a great place to live. We offer one, two and three bedroom floorplans in addition to great amenities like our pool and clubhouse. Residents enjoy our convenient yet quiet location. Contact us today at 888-213-9154 or visit us to find out more about our property.
- Enjoy a free movie night at the Essig Recreation Center. The center will be showing Monsters Inc at 6 pm on October 30. Bring the whole family and something comfortable to sit on. The center can be found in Rocky Mount on Technology Drive.
- October 30 and 31st you can visit the 16th Annual Haunted House at Putt-Putt Fun Center on Peters Creek Road in Roanoke. The Haunted house is open from 5 pm to 10 pm or 2 pm - 10 pm on Halloween and the cost is $6 per person. The haunted house is appropriate for those 12 and up, as long as they don't scare easy. All proceeds go to the Carilion Children's Hospital.
- Mill Mountain Zoo is the perfect place to spend Halloween day. Kids can enjoy trick or treating around the zoo, special animal performances and costume contests with great prizes. The event will take place between 11 am and 4 pm and if you have a zoo membership you can attend for free. General admission will be $6 for kids and $8 for adults.
- If you are looking for some grown up fun, The Wayback will be having its 1st Annual Halloween Party this Friday night October 30. Two bands will take the stage starting at 8 pm. Dress up in your best costume and win some great prizes. There will be music from the Rocky Horror Picture Show and plenty of fun.
5 Halloween Decorations that are Perfect for Apartments
Just because you live in an apartment doesn't mean that you can't have fun decorating for Halloween. These five ideas are perfectly suited to apartment living and will allow you to have a little fun this Halloween season.
5 Halloween Ideas for Apartments
If you are looking for the perfect apartment that you can have fun decorating, the team at Hickory Woods in Roanoke can help. We offer a range of floor plans and amenities within walking distance of all that our area has to offer. Contact one of our friendly staff today at 888-213-9154 to find out more!
- It can be hard to find a space to carve pumpkins when living in an apartment. Skip the carving this year and grab some paint. You can create scary black cats with a whole lot of black paint and some cut outs.
- Cheesecloth webs and card stock bats are easy to make and can turn any doorway in your apartment into a menacing entry. Use black string to hang your cut out bats and hang the cheesecloth from the door frame then tear at it till you get the look you are happy with.
- Glass jack o lanterns are a fun project and a row at them can light up the night. Use mason jars or even old pasta sauce jars, tape, orange paint and L.E.D candles. Tape off the eyes, nose and mouth in the desired shape then paint the remainder of the glass orange. Place a candle inside the jar to illuminate your jack o lantern.
- Another easy project you can do with glass jars is to fill them with candy corn. You can then place a candle in the middle. Use orange ribbon to decorate the outside of the jar. You can place these jars throughout your home for a little festive color.
- Head to the thrift store and purchase some clean white plates. You can now hand paint insects onto the plates. This is perfect if you plan to have guests over for Halloween or if you are looking to add a little creepy fun to your dining table.
Roanoke Weekend Happenings 10/2 - 10/4
With so many fun events happening in Roanoke VA this weekend, planning your weekend calendar could prove tricky. Here are four fun events that range from Halloween frights to enjoying some fresh air and delicious food.
Weekend Happenings in Roanoke VA
- If you are looking for some Halloween scares, Elijah's Woods Haunted Trails could be just the ticket. Starting at dark you can follow haunted trails through dark and eerie woods filled with frightening surprises. Admission is $12 and the trails are open at the Red Truck Event Center from now until Halloween.
- The biggest doggy festival in our region will be held this Sunday, October 3. The Saint Francis dogs Training Center Dogtoberfest will include fun for the whole family, including your favorite fluffy friend. There will be vendors on site and games and fun for the dogs and the kids. Admission is free.
- A cave tour by lantern is the perfect setting fo this family friendly ghost tour. Join Natural Bridge & Historic Hotel for a guided tour through the caves and start your Halloween month off right. Tours are held Saturday and Sunday from 4 pm to 5 pm and you must have a reservation to join in.
- Friday Food Trucks N Tunes will be happenin